Friday 14 February 2014

Another reason responsible social media use must be taught to students AND adults

In case you missed it, a 15-year-old student from Staten Island created a Facebook page called Close NYC Schools During Snow Emergencies expressing discontent over the DOE's decision to keep schools open ThursdayThe high school student employed some smart strategies to help his page gain popularity.  Namely sharing his page on the walls of elected officials.  From there the likes started pouring in. The page went viral attracting nearly 30,000 "Likes" in about a day.  Most of those who came to the page initially had no idea it was a high school student named Jeremy Duenas who was the man behind the page's curtain.

After a day of a blitz of media attention that included many local news outlets, the page creator had this to say to fans of the page:
Thank you everyone for all your outpouring support! From all my family and friends to all of YOU who don't even know me but are praising me anyway. I'm was just a kid from Staten Island and now I feel like I'm more than that.
I want more »

0 comments:

Post a Comment