Tuesday 2 April 2013

The 6 Cs for using social media during times of grief: Consider. Communicate. Connect. Console. Commemorate. HAVE COURAGE!

This has been a tough year for me. I experienced the death of my mother and my grandmother. In both cases I shared the news on Facebook just as my cousin had done when her father (my uncle) passed away a couple years earlier. This is not uncommon in the 21st century. For me this was a way to share sad news with my friends and family around the globe in a way that time and the reality of the situation wouldn't have otherwise allowed as I dealt with grieving and handling of affairs.  It was wonderful to get kind words and support from those who cared.  

Facebook has also become a place to connect with others in cases of tragic losses in school communities due to unexpected deaths, violence, and bullying.  More than a million people liked a Facebook page to show support after the Sandyhook Elementary School shooting. A school Facebook page update honored the unexpected passing of the beloved parent of one of their students.  In a small town in Colorado the family set up a Facebook page, which had 1,447 likes out of a school of 300 students.  It also resulted in enough donations to have the funeral they felt their son deserved and helped many middle school students deal with the issue of suicide, which can have a ripple effect.
I want more »

0 comments:

Post a Comment