Sunday 3 November 2013

Tasting in Technicolor - A Story of Learning Differences from a Teen with Synesthesia

Guest post by Rylie VanOrsdol

When I was in early elementary school, I thought everyone experienced the world the way I did.  Then, in 5th grade while working with a group of kids on math at school, the answer to the problem was 30.  I commented, “Well that’s a nice red number.”  You can imagine the ridicule and chaos that ensued.  I decided to start keeping things to myself.  In retrospect I should have taken a hint from my third and fourth grade public school teachers, who chastised me for coloring around the numbers and letters I had written in pencil on my worksheets in “their” color, when I was finished early in class.  I was a well behaved student and didn’t understand why this angered them so much.  I didn’t want to be “bad”.


When I was being home schooled in 6th grade, I abruptly came to my mom crying and very upset.  It startled and scared her because I didn’t have outbursts like that.  She was worried something was seriously wrong.  I asked through my sobs, “If something was wrong with me, would you tell me?”.  My mom was so surprised by my questions because I was a “great student, well liked by my peers and an all around terrific kid”.  I continued, “Do I have a disability that you are hiding from me?”.  She reassured me that I was more than fine.  The conversation ended.
I want more »

0 comments:

Post a Comment