Friday 1 February 2013

5 Rewards of Teaching Young Students to Blog

By Mrs. Yollis

This was originally published on SmartBlogs and Mrs. Yollis' Classroom blog to help parents have a good understanding about the benefits of blogging.

I have been an elementary-school teacher for more than 25 years and I am always on the lookout for meaningful ways to engage and motivate my young students. I started Mrs. Yollis’ Classroom Blog in 2008 with the idea of sharing class activities with parents. Over time, the blog has grown to be the centerpiece of our third-grade classroom. It has become a true global learning community that offers myriad rewards for students, parents and teachers.

1) Develop quality literacy skills  

When I first started blogging, I thought the posts would be the primary focus of the blog. I quickly realized that the comment section was where the blog came to life. As a class, we set high standards and expectations for writing, agreed to always have an adult proofread before publishing, and created a video to help teach commenting skills.


I want more »

0 comments:

Post a Comment